Re: debian-java-faq seems to be pretty old -

Le 02/09/2018 à 16:15, shirish शिरीष a écrit :

> Now while I'm doing the nominal changes am stuck at certain points -
>
> a. <version>$Revision: 7831 $, $Date: 2013-06-05 21:17:15 +0100 $
>
> how is the revision and time-stamp derived. If I were to guess it would be
> something to do with moinmoin ?

This is a keyword expansion, a feature of CVS and SVN that Git doesn't
support. With these VCS if a file contained $Revision$ it was expanded
to $Revision: 1234 $ when the file was checked out. Let's ignore that
for now and focus on the content.

> b. In 2.2 at https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch2.en.html
>
> gcj and libgcj: http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
>
> Classpath http://www.classpath.org. Most of the Standard classes for
> Java 1.2 (except Swing and RMI) are implemented by the ClassPath
> project, it tries to build an alternative to jdk's 1.2 core classes.
> (NB: This was removed from Squeeze)
>
> Should this content be there anymore ? - guess both can be removed as
> nothing of the two projects remain

All references to GCJ/GIJ/GNU ClassPath should be removed, this is just
History now.

> I was surprised to know that gnu java which at one point was a
> high-priority project was deprecated within gcc

When Sun released Java under the GPL and started the OpenJDK project it
lost its raison d'être.

http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org now maps to https://java.debian.net.

> d. For https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch3.en.html
> esp. the non-free java would need to pursue the launchpad ppa archive

Chapter 3 is about update-java-alternatives. How does it relate to the PPA?

> e. 4.5 How can I use the proprietary version of the JDK/JRE from
> Oracle as a Debian package?
>
> This probably needs an updated answer, either we give the same link as
> above i.e.
> http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html
> or maybe something else as
> http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/2012/02/29/java_package_replacement_of_sun_java6
> is no longer sufficient :(

java-package is the supported solution for now. I wish we could also
include in non-free an installer similar to webupd8.org.

Emmanuel Bourg