Re: debian-java-faq seems to be pretty old -

Hi there,

El vie., 31 ago. 2018 19:03, Markus Koschany <apo@debian.org> escribió:
Hello,

Am 31.08.2018 um 18:27 schrieb shirish शिरीष:
> Dear all,
>
> I was reading
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/
>
> and it seems the manual is pretty old and seems to have lot of oudated info.

[...]

It is mentioned already in the website that some content might be outdated. However we should probably change that to *is* outdated.

I agree that a lot of the information at
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ is outdated.

I agree too as I wrote most of the content a long time ago (18 years!).

This is
partly because the people who created the old Debian Java FAQ are no
longer involved in Debian Java or may even have reassigned from Debian
completely.

This is actually because I am not actively updating it myself anymore (last update I did was 4 years ago) and nobody has stepped in to support the document. But it would be great if somebody did.

Note that I was never part of the Java team. Just a DD that wanted to support users in getting help others on how to run Java in their systems by documenting it.

It is also more difficult to update the old Debian Java FAQ
instead of updating our Wiki.

I will not argue much this point, but this is something I do not agree with too much, specially with the move to Salsa.

There is some advantages to having a good document for end users (e.g. printable, easily translatable, off line copy in java-common)

Hence I suggest the following to you:

Why doesn't the Java team actually review the Java FAQ and let DDP know if it should be kept or dropped completely? (In the latter we should remove it from the web listing and remove it from java-common).

If kept, the FAQ could have a disclaimer that the document *might* not be updated and point to the WiKi page for reference (if one exists).

If you would like to help us, you could create a new Wiki page, e.g.

https://wiki.debian.org/Java/FAQ

Add those questions and answers to the page that you find interesting
and either update them yourself or mark them as "update needed". Then
let's work together on improving the information.

If this is done please also let DDP know to remove the document and add a disclaimer in the GIT instead. Otherwise we will end up with contradicting sources of information which is not very helpful to our users.

Best regards

Javier