debian-java-faq seems to be pretty old -

Dear all,

I was reading

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/

and it seems the manual is pretty old and seems to have lot of oudated info.

For instance just at the beginning itself -

1.2 Location of this FAQ

This FAQ is published under the Debian Documentation Project at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/. The java-common
(available at http://packages.debian.org/java-common) provides an HTML
version for offline reading.

this is no longer true -

$ dpkg -L java-common
/.
/usr
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives
/usr/share
/usr/share/bash-completion
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/update-java-alternatives
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/java-common
/usr/share/doc/java-common/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/java-common/copyright
/usr/share/java
/usr/share/java/java_defaults.mk
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/update-java-alternatives.8.gz

I don't see any HTML or even SGML files in java-common.

even the subversion repo. is no longer there

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/ddp/manuals/trunk/java-faq/

the link should be -

https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq

then in chapter 2

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch2.en.html

.1 What full-fledged Java development platforms are available in Debian?

shouldn't stretch and jessie (as old-stable) details should be shared herein ?

2.3.1 Java 6 and 7

Shouldn't the whole info. need to be moved to 7 (old-stable) and 8 (stable)

2.4.2 Is there a good example Debian package?

The alioth info. is obsolete, links for the appropriate salsa team
perhaps be more appropriate.

What tools are available to make maintaining a Java packages easier?

Even the debhelper version shared is obsolete. Stable has dh10 and
testing has dh11

Same is for chapter 3

$ update-java-alternatives --list

unfortunately now update-java-alternatives needs sbin

$ update-java-alternatives --list
Command 'update-java-alternatives' is available in
'/usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives'
The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin' is not included
in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative priviledges
associated with your user account.
update-java-alternatives: command not found

Same is with chapter 4, all versions shared are outdated.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch4.en.html

Even chapter 5 needs to update to icedtea-8-plugin and share stretch as stable.

Shouldn't chapter 6 talk about tomcat8

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch6.en.html

Chapter 7 talks about java-policy but there is no such documentation
in java-common

$ dpkg -L java-common
/.
/usr
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives
/usr/share
/usr/share/bash-completion
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/update-java-alternatives
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/java-common
/usr/share/doc/java-common/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/java-common/copyright
/usr/share/java
/usr/share/java/java_defaults.mk
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/update-java-alternatives.8.gz

Even the link https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/
seems to have outdated info. it doesn't even seem to have a time-stamp
to denote when it was last touched and written :(

Maybe somebody can do the needful and make it more current so I can
share the documentation with newcomers when somebody asks me .

I am willing to help in my own small way whatever I know off-list if
somebody decides to take this up although the debian-java team may
perhaps be a better guide as they know what is best, although am
willing to share on email as have shared above.

Look forward to seeing java documentation perhaps a bit more up-to-date.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल