Re: Review of fairsim, libjtransforms-java and libjlargearray-java

Le 2/10/2017 à 17:51, Markus Koschany a écrit :

> There is at least one major downside of the current behavior. You
> completely loose the flexibility to choose that your package is able to
> run with an older version of libfoo. There is always a strict dependency
> on the latest version which can be a real hassle if you try to backport
> packages. Unfortunately we don't have a C/C++ mechanism like symbols
> files in Java but the answer should not be to enforce a dependency on
> the latest version.

Ideally the version used for the resolved dependencies should be the
ones defined in the pom, such that the packages express the same
requirements than the Maven artifacts they contain. That would be a less
strict middle ground.

Regarding the backports, what the current maven-debian-helper behavior
really limits is the ability to download a .deb built for sid and
install it directly in stable. Rebuilding the package for stable is
still possible with no extra modification, and the resolved dependencies
will then refer to the versions in stable.

Emmanuel Bourg