Re: Right way to proceed to upload a new version of a package not sponsored yet

Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your advise. I'll concentrate on version 2.7 and, when the package is accepted into the archive, I'll start with version 2.8. A first version of the package was uploaded here: https://mentors.debian.net/package/wallpaperdownloader

But I would like to work on it a little bit more because I realized there are some errors I have to fix. I uploaded version 2.7-1 so, if I introduce some changes should I go for version 2.7-2? I guess those changes should be reflected in the changelog file right? Is this the right way to proceed for improving the package?

Thank you very much :)

Cheers,

Eloy

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 04:45:51PM +0200, Eloy García (PC Actual) wrote:
> Dear metors,
>
> Some time ago I uploaded a new package for a Java-based application called
> WallpaperDownloader (version 2.7). These are the bugs opened so far:
>
> - RFS bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=864174
> - ITP bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=863572
>
> The package has no sponsor yet, but a new version (2.8) is in the upstream
> project. This new version includes some new libraries as dependencies so it
> is needed to repack the application again.
>
> My doubt is:
>
> 1.- Is it better to wait for a sponsor and then improve the package for
> version 2.7 or
> 2.- Would it be possible to remove all the stuff related to version 2.7 and
> start from scratch with the new version?
>
> Sorry, but I'm totally newby to all this kind of things and I don't know
> what is the better way to proceed.
>
> Thank you very much to all of you for your time :)

Hello Eloy,

Since the 2.7 version is not yet in the NEW queue, either way is fine.
Adding new dependencies means more packaging and potentially more time
waiting for packages pass through the NEW queue.  Therefore, I think it
boils down to whether you and other Debian users can make use the 2.7
package while you are working on the new dependencies for 2.8.  If so,
then I would proceed with 2.7.  As soon as that package is accepted into
the archive, you can update to 2.8, so you could also get started on the
2.8 dependencies in parallel.

Cheers,
tony

--