Right way to proceed to upload a new version of a package not sponsored yet

Dear metors,

Some time ago I uploaded a new package for a Java-based application called WallpaperDownloader (version 2.7). These are the bugs opened so far:

- RFS bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=864174
- ITP bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=863572

The package has no sponsor yet, but a new version (2.8) is in the upstream project. This new version includes some new libraries as dependencies so it is needed to repack the application again.

My doubt is:

1.- Is it better to wait for a sponsor and then improve the package for version 2.7 or
2.- Would it be possible to remove all the stuff related to version 2.7 and start from scratch with the new version?

Sorry, but I'm totally newby to all this kind of things and I don't know what is the better way to proceed.

Thank you very much to all of you for your time :)

--
Eloy García Almadén