Re: The state of Maven

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Maven in testing/unstable is currently at the latest upstream release
> (3.5.0). The most visible change since Maven 3.3.9 is the colored
> console output which is really nice (except for the builder logs, they
> are now cluttered with ANSI escape code and I don't know if there is a
> way to avoid that). If time allows I'll try to backport this version to

It also *BREAKS* software, such as Jenkins (I manually had to patch
/var/lib/jenkins/plugins/maven-plugin/WEB-INF/lib/maven32-interceptor-1.6.jar
in order to get it to disable coloured output) and anything that, for
example, analyses the output of mvn dependency:{list,tree} — we use
that to compare the dependencies against ① a list of packages with
known security issues (alpha status) and ② a list of known dependencies
in the package, so that, when one changes, we know to manually adjust
the whole-WAR licence documentation (and check for compatibility, etc).

You can only disable it by adding -B on the mvn commandline, or by
calling a new method when not using the commandline (e.g. Jenkins).

I’d have preferred it doing something like tty detection, to behave
nice with other OSS citizens, but oh well and it’s upstream’s issue.

> redirects the version 3.1 to 3.6.1). This means we can leave the default
> versions unchanged in our maven package, and still be able to build our
> packages with the latest versions of the plugins. This change will
> probably go live with the next update of the maven package.

Oh, interesting.

Another integrator’s PoV question:

My own desktop and the Jenkins are running unstable, so I always get
this kind of updates. Is there a way I can check the list of maven
plugins used/preferred by Debian, so I can enter them in the POM
(where it always warns when no version is given anyway) so that
others (e.g. my coworkers using *buntu) get the same versions but
I can use the packaged versions instead of it having to download
stuff from Central?

> This update is also the opportunity to transition away from Maven 2.

Oh, nice. I’m not aware of an inhouse project still requiring
Maven 2 (and even the old ones build with Maven 3, sometimes
with little changes we do anyway to e.g. insert our new Nexus
repository or something).

> Once all of this is over I'd like to invest some time on
> maven-debian-helper to better support multi module projects. I have 3

Oh cool! That would help the (somewhat stalled) efforts I had
trying to get some of the software we use/write packaged for
Debian.

> With these changes I hope we'll able to better optimize the dependencies

Congratulations!

bye,
//mirabilos
--