Re: openjdk-9-jdk rebuild: Second pass

Thank a lot for the rebuilds and the detailed analysis Chris! This gives
a clear direction for our transition plan.

Le 2/07/2017 à 22:06, Chris West a écrit :

>  * I totally hacked up[1] maven-compiler-plugin to do the same.

I've updated maven-compiler-plugin to the latest version, so we can now
build projects with Java 9 code. But that didn't solve the language
level issue.

For the source/target tweak I modified plexus-compiler, it might be more
general and fix more packages than the patch you used.

> Of 1261 packages compiled, 57% failed.

Good start, let's do better :)

>  23% think javadoc(1) doesn't exist: http://bugs.debian.org/bug=866929
>    I definitely think this should be fixed in the toolchain; as the
>    above bug.

This is caused by the removal of the 'jre' directory in Java 9 and the
subsequent modification of the java.home property. This is easy to fix.

>  18% still are trying to use old -source/-target: https://paste.debian.net/974407/
>    Perhaps some cases ant doesn't catch it, as it doesn't look
>    like a Debian build environment?

It looks like my Ant fix doesn't work for packages defining the
ant.build.javac.source and ant.build.javac.target properties (typically
in debian/ant.properties). I'll look into this.

>  11% (plus probably a lot of the above 23%) are failing doclint after
>    otherwise compiling successfully. doclint should be disabled,
>    but isn't: http://bugs.debian.org/866908
>
>    Hopefully everyone agrees we should fix this in the toolchain, as the
>    above bug.

Yes, doclint must die :)

>  7% are broken because invalid ASCII in the code is now an error;
>    it appears that it was only a warning on Java 8.

This is now fixed for the packages built with javahelper and jh_build
(#866845).

> And, on a more positive note:
>
>  16% are broken due to probably intentional changes in Java 9, e.g.
>     * introduction of java.lang.Module
>     * modules changing accessiblity of things (~90 packages)
>     * _ becoming a keyword (~15 packages)
>     * apparent generics changes causing new casting problems(?)

This is the interesting part, I'll dive into this once the obvious
toolchain fixes are done.

Emmanuel Bourg