Re: JavaCC update

Hi,

I have prepared a javacc 6.1.3 package and recompiled some of its dependencies.
So far three packages fail to compile (there are probably more):
  • css-parser
  • lucene-solr
  • lucene2
All three packages are a couple of years behind the latest upstream version.
Is there an easy way to autobuild the reverse-depends of a package to test the other packages? Something like a buildd light?

The only reverse-build-dep of cssparser (libcssparser-java) is htmlunit (libhtmlunit-java) which apparently has no  reverse-build-dep/reverse-deps and a low popcon, so it could probably removed.

In contrast lucene-solr is used quite a bit and lucene2 is a reverse-build-dep of eclipse. Probably more recent upstream versions would work fine with javacc6, but packaging those and updating their rdepends seems like a major undertaking.

I now see several options:
  • update javacc to 6 and create a javacc5 package, patching all the packages which do not compile with 6.1.3 (requires a team effort)
  • update javacc to 6.1.3 and upload to experimental, filing FTBS bugs against the packages which do not build
  • create a javacc6 package to be used by those packages requiring javacc6

I have no experience in library transitions so guidance on the best/recommended way would be appreciated.

Since my only reason for updating javacc in the first place was to update umlet (popcon: installs 829, 0.43%), there is no need to do any of this before stretch.

Here is the list of packages I have built against 6.1.3 so far.

Build

Tested application

* cdk

pass