Re: Freeplane and latest jgoodies-forms: strange runtime error

On 06.12.2016 18:59, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>
>> issues. if a package often breaks the compatibility and isn't security
>> sensitive, then maintaining more than one version is probably more
>> efficient (jgoodies and guava fall into this category).
>
> What is “security sensitive”? I’d not dare to put numbers to such
> a denomination.

Bouncycastle is a prime example of security sensitive Java software
while qdox, ASM or any Java package that just provides some sort of API
is less likely vulnerable. It's a matter of balancing the pros and cons
and we have already removed duplicate libraries or reduced dependencies
during the Stretch release cycle. See [1] for a quick overview for some
of them.

> No idea whether maintaining several versions is really worth it.
> I mean, jgoodies looks upstream-dead, so this is a good argument
> in favour of both

JGoodies' upstream has discontinued to release his software as free
software but he is still very active. [2] Hence we won't have to suffer
from future JGoodies transitions, although the reason is rather sad.

> ⓐ maintain multiple versions of our own
>
> ⓑ package the last version of it, maintain that, and patch
>   all applications to use it (and we expect no further/new
>   breakage, because there will be no new upstream version)

I think we can expect that this is the last version of JGoodies, so
maintaining it will become easier until the reverse-dependencies decide
to switch to another library.

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Java/Oldlibs