Re: Creating a deb for a Java based project, and saying hi to the mailing list

Hi,

If your product is targeting Debian as a distribution platform than it
might be worth it to do the normal (full) debian packaging and have your
package in the official distribution.

If you just need to install the app to use it develop/test it locally
and never plan to distributed as an official deb, than jdeb is enough.

You will get a package that installs and with all the scripts you will
need to install it.

Building an official package out of that will be easier, since you will
have a lot of meta-data allready available. Dependinng on how many
external dependencies you have having an deb package can be a daunting
task, but having all dependencies packaged is part of Debian's awesomness.

Thanks,