Re: Creating a deb for a Java based project, and saying hi to the mailing list

@Thorsten.

OK I didn't realise there was 'more' to the .deb and .dsc stuff... I'm sure I mentioned that I'm a newbie to packaging 😉 (scratches head).

@Emmanueal

The team already has a gradle.build for windows and OSX, so I don't need to worry about those.

The truth is that the gradle.build is actually installing to a virtual machine (vagrant). The rpms are just... well... RPMs hence RedHat / CentOS centric.

It just seemed a bit crazy to have a VM on my debian jessy box that ran CentOS, so as I could build a Vagrant VM inside of that... just too many levels of abstraction for my head to get around !

David.

ps. I do hope I'm not too 'light hearted' in my conversation, I'm a great believer in 'work being fun / interesting', probably because havind worked in the NHS in the UK you don't do it for the money ;)

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> I'd suggest that you get a look at jdeb [1] too, you may find this path
> easier. It allows you to generate a .deb file directly from the project

But do note that a .deb file is *not* a Debian package,
merely a binary in a format convenient to install on an
operating system that uses dpkg.

A Debian package is a .dsc file plus everything that one
references (origtgz, debian-specific build instructions),
plus its Build-Depends, which also must come from Debian
packages.

bye,
//mirabilos
--