Re: jmol: diff for NMU version 12.2.32+dfsg2-1.1

tony mancill:
> [..]
>
> This upload was rejected due to a lintian error that existed in the
> source package before I added the patch.  Since NMUs are supposed to
> be very targeted, the rejection puts us in an odd place.  Will the
> upload to experimental [1] find its way into unstable before the
> freeze, or should I try again with 12.2.32?

Hi Tony and everyone else I added:

That depends on what DebiChem, Debian Med, and the Debian Java Team collectively want.

jmol has three reverse dependencies. The new upload, jmol 14, breaks all of them.

- biojava3-live can feasibly be dropped from Debian.

- biojava4-live is currently being worked on by the upstream developer. We're waiting to hear back from them.

- jalview's current version doesn't work with jmol 14, but the new version does. I started packaging it, but it adds several other dependencies not in Debian. Most of them seem bio related:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/jalview.git/tree/debian/TODO

  fr.orsay.lri.varna.*
  htsjdk.samtools.*
  org.biodas.jdas.*
  org.jfree.graphics2d.svg.*

So we have a few options:

1. Keep everything old in Debian, and SageMath out of Debian stable.
2. Update Jmol in Debian, with a chance of SageMath entering Debian stable, but drop biojava4 and jalview from Debian stable. (They can remain broken in unstable, with a chance of fixing them later, ofc)
3. Update Jmol in Debian, and update biojava4 and jalview as well.

If I work on (3) I don't think I will have any time to properly work on (2), but that is where my main personal interest lies. I'm also wondering what you all prefer, too.

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git