Re: [Q]: "incompatible-java-bytecode-format Java8 version" warning

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 11:58:08AM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 4/07/2016 à 10:48, Hideki Yamane a écrit :
>
> > Should we bump it up to Java8?
>
> Hi Hideki,
>
> Yes definitely. The warning is still somewhat interesting though, as it
> shows that the build doesn't set the source/target level explicitly and
> relies on the default value from the compiler (except for the few
> packages that indeed depend on Java 8). This means that the packages
> affected by this warning are likely to be affected later when we switch
> to Java 9.

I like seeing the compilation level output as well, particularly when it
doesn't match the default.  I propose that we keep the warning for
bytecode formats that are too new - that is, as Hideki reported in
#829592 - and use another check to report when the bytecode format is
older than the expected value.  The new check could use an
informational-level lintian tag.

Cheers,
tony