Re: Call for tests: Making OpenJDK 7 the default in Wheezy LTS

Am 25.04.2016 um 11:41 schrieb Rene Engelhard:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 06:22:51PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> I would like to ask everyone who uses Java in server or desktop
>> environments to test their applications with OpenJDK 7 and to prepare
>> for the switch. This can be achieved by installing either openjdk-7-jre
>> or openjdk-7-jre-headless. In case OpenJDK 6 is already installed on
>
> Not everywhere. If your package expects a JDK path set and that is set to
> 6 in debian/rules (if you're not using the default) you need source changes.
>
> As for - you guess it - LO in the old times back then. 6 is hardcoded in
> rules (and for the build-dep in control).
>
> Running a testbuild with 7 now, but LO would need a full upload :/

Hi Rene,

we are mainly concerned about runtime issues with OpenJDK 7. Libreoffice
declares dependencies on default-jre | openjdk-7-jre, so I believe it
should be fine. I am aware of build failures with OpenJDK 7 and I think
that can't be avoided unless we want to redo the whole OpenJDK 7
transition. [1]

I think in those cases it is reasonable to recommend to manually change
build dependencies back to OpenJDK 6 because rebuilding a package does
not pose a security risk and should never happen on production systems
anyway. I will update https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Wheezy and add an
example today.

Regards,

Markus