Call for tests: Making OpenJDK 7 the default in Wheezy LTS

Hi all,

as you may already be aware, the intention is to make OpenJDK 7 the
default Java implementation in Wheezy LTS to ensure full security
support until 31 May 2018. The switch will happen on 26 June 2016.

I would like to ask everyone who uses Java in server or desktop
environments to test their applications with OpenJDK 7 and to prepare
for the switch. This can be achieved by installing either openjdk-7-jre
or openjdk-7-jre-headless. In case OpenJDK 6 is already installed on
your system, you can switch to OpenJDK 7 by using the
update-alternatives mechanism:

	sudo update-alternatives --config java

On 26 June default-jre, default-jre-headless and default-jdk will no
longer point to OpenJDK 6 but to OpenJDK 7 instead. This will be
achieved by updating the java-common package. I have prepared updated
packages of java-common for testing that can be downloaded from:

	https://people.debian.org/~apo/wheezy-lts/

Important note for users of Tomcat and Jetty: We strongly recommend to
change the JAVA_HOME variable in /etc/default/tomcat7 and
/etc/default/jetty to

	JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/openjdk-7-jdk

and to replace OpenJDK 6 with OpenJDK 7 at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Markus