Re: About Jenkins in Debian

Am 11.01.2016 um 21:37 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Le 11/01/2016 16:52, Markus Koschany a écrit :
>
>> I presume
>> jenkins-cli and jenkins-slave would be affected by the same short three
>> month support release cycle.
>
> jenkins-cli consists in only 9 classes and requires 4 dependencies
> (commons-codec, jenkins-remoting, localizer and trilead-ssh2. It doesn't
> rely on jenkins-core). The code is rather stable and shouldn't be
> difficult to maintain.
>
> jenkins-slave doesn't contain any code, it's just a script downloading a
> jar from a Jenkins installation and turning it into a daemon.
>
> I'm not a user of these packages, so I won't push to keep them if nobody
> supports the idea. But I can see their technical merits over the
> upstream package (better system integration with manpages, bash
> completion, proper daemon and log rotation).

At the moment I am not a user of Jenkins either but of course I would
rather like to see all the sources properly packaged in Debian. This
sounds like maintaining them would be doable, even in stable. However my
point is, if we remove Jenkins from Debian we should cease to support it
completely and make it clear that upstream is fully responsible for all
system integration. Otherwise users would justifiably expect that we
provide at least some support but without a real dedicated maintainer
this would be doubtful. I believe we should either answer their
expectations or do nothing at all.

Markus