Re: Packaging Java Pathfinder

Hi all,

On Sun, 2015-11-15 at 16:59 -0800, tony mancill wrote:

> I agree that a patch would be the cleanest approach.  Perhaps you could
> get away with simply a wrapper script that sets some system properties?
>  (I haven't looked at JPF very closely yet.)

Keep in mind I'm not a proper Java developer, so I might be missing
quite a few things.

Java Pathfinder as a JVM defines quite a few properties (e.g., a
scheduling choice generator class), including some that are software
verification-specific. By default, these are specified in jpf.properties
in the code base root directory.

The main JAR file is expecting this info to be in one of search paths in
the increasing order of importance: 1) Java classpath (where it should
be in a file jpf.properties), 2) ~/.jpf/site.properties, 3)
jpf.properties in the current directory.

I see how this is done in JPF and I can either put the /usr/share/java
directory to the classpath and put jpf.properties to
/usr/share/java/jpf.properties, or I can easily patch Java Pathfinder
such that it searches for jpf.properties somewhere else, e.g. in
/etc/jpf/.

What do you suggest to do? My hunch is it shouldn't
be /usr/share/java/jpf.properties as there are only JAR files
in /usr/share/java. Also, it shouldn't be ~/.jpf/site.properties as that
is user-specific.

> You should also consider whether a JPF user might want to use both the
> modules provided by Debian and search for modules configured in the
> site.properties file.  The question there will be the search order.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind. For the time being I want to get it working
for a single system-wide installation.

> In general, anything you can do to ensure that the package works "out of
> the box" without manual user configuration (but while still supporting
> local configuration if desired) is the preferred approach.

Thanks for explaining this!

--
Regards,
Marko