Re: Packaging Java Pathfinder

On 11/15/2015 10:39 AM, Marko Dimjašević wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-11-15 at 08:46 -0800, tony mancill wrote:
>
>> When using this recipe, you should also declare a build-dependency on
>> either "openjdk-8-jdk" or "default-jdk (>= 2:1.8)".  The first is (just
>> a tad) more explicit and aligns with the setting of JAVA_HOME.
>
> Thank you for this!
>
> I have another question...
>
> So far a user would manually install Java PathFinder, so they would have
> to configure it by editing a file ~/.jpf/site.properties, where Java
> PathFinder modules (and I intend to package one module later too) would
> figure out where on the disk is the main module, that is Java PathFinder
> itself. However, now there will be Debian packages for Java PathFinder
> and its modules, so the configuration file won't be needed as everything
> will be in /usr/share/java, yet my hunch is the modules will still look
> for ~/.jpf/site.properties.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this? My hunch is I will
> have to patch things such that all modules always look for the main
> module (and possibly other modules) in a specific place
> (i.e. /usr/share/java).

I agree that a patch would be the cleanest approach.  Perhaps you could
get away with simply a wrapper script that sets some system properties?
 (I haven't looked at JPF very closely yet.)

You should also consider whether a JPF user might want to use both the
modules provided by Debian and search for modules configured in the
site.properties file.  The question there will be the search order.

In general, anything you can do to ensure that the package works "out of
the box" without manual user configuration (but while still supporting
local configuration if desired) is the preferred approach.

Cheers,
tony