Re: Working with JavaFX

Le 6/12/2015 17:17, Cecil Westerhof a écrit :
> I want to start writing desktop applications. I have done some (but not
> much) Swing and Qt in the past, but as I understand it I should use
> JavaFX nowadays.

Swing is still a good API for classic desktop applications.

​I did not invest a lot in Swing. As I understood it new applications should be written with JavaFX instead of with Swing. That is not the case?

I expect that JavaFX has more features as Swing. So it would not hurt to use it I would think.​

> How should I install JavaFX?

On Debian, either install the openjfx package (from the backports if you
are using Jessie) or install the Oracle JDK (you can convert the Linux
tarball into a .deb with the make-jpkg tool from java-package.

​Backport ​

​gives the same as main:
    libopenjfx-java libopenjfx-jni openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless openjfx

But my Java version is 7. Is something ​going wrong here?

> I am using Java 7, because
> I do not want to use unstable packages without a reason and at the
> moment I think Java 7 is good enough.

JavaFX 8 requires Java 8. The earlier versions of JavaFX aren't as
mature, I wouldn't recommend them.

​But for Java 8 I need to install unstable packages I understood. Or am I mistaken?​

> I understood that JavaFX should be installed with Java, bit it is not.

JavaFX isn't an official part of Java, but it's packaged with the JRE
distributed by Oracle. In Debian it's a separate package (openjfx).

​That explains it: the Debian distribution of Java is different as the Oracle one.

--
Cecil Westerhof