Re: request for JVM 1.4.2 on debian VM

On 05/12/2015 09:39 AM, Ken Gerdes wrote:
> This seems like an odd request, but I need to install a very old JVM
> (1.4.2) onto my Debian VM in Oracle Virtualbox.  Does anyone know if
> this old install file exists anywhere where I can do this?  I need it to
> access a very old remote console that will not be upgraded, and new Java
> versions will not work with it.

Hi Ken,

If you have to have a .deb that was released with Debian, you can try
the snapshot service at http://snapshot.debian.org/.  For example, here
is the link to the versions of sun-java5-jre stored by the service:

http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/sun-java5-jre/

Or going back even further:

http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/jdk1.1-runtime/

There are also versions of kaffe, etc.  The rub is that you need to know
the name of the package you want to install (and I don't recall the name
of a 1.4.2 JDK).

But unless your needs are very specific, probably the quickest path is
to just get a copy of the 1.4.2 JDK from Sun/Oracle [1] and install it
in your VM.  (You can even do this temporarily by snapshotting your VM
and then restoring it to its prior state when you're done.)

Cheers,
tony

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html