Re: OpenJDK 8 vs Zulu

Hi Jonathan,

Le 18/01/2015 23:21, Jonathan Yu a écrit :

> I wonder if there's anything that can (or should) be done to address
> Gil's criticisms. I love Debian and would always prefer to install
> things via apt-get from the official repositories rather than
> download/install third-party packages, so it would be nice to address
> these issues.

Gil is right to point out that the current version of the openjdk-8
package (8u40 build 09) doesn't match an official Java release, it's an
intermediary build of the upcoming Java 8u40. I have no idea if it's TCK
compliant, but it contains more bug fixes than the latest official Java
8 version available (8u25).

Regardless of the TCK compliance, if you are going to use a new version
of the JDK in production you have to test it thoroughly with your
application. This is true with any JDK, be it the Oracle one, a
Debian/Fedora/Gentoo OpenJDK build or the little-known Zulu JDK. The
mere TCK compliance doesn't protect you against subtle regressions, no
test suite does.

About the TCK, Canonical is a licensee [1] and most certainly run it on
their openjdk-8 package for Ubuntu. If a compatibility issue was to be
found I'm pretty confident the fix would be shared with the Debian
package. Also I've requested an access to the TCK for Java 8 in June to
run it on the Debian packages but I haven't heard back from Oracle yet.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/groups/conformance/JckAccess/jck-access.html