Re: OpenJDK 8 vs Zulu

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> To my knowledge, Zulu is currently the only OpenJDK 8 binary build available
> that is actually fully tested. When I say "actually fully tested", I mean
> that someone actually states that the specific binary package has passed the
> full set of OpenJDK TCK tests, and is verified to be a compatible and
> complaint implementation of the Java SE 8 spec. Azul certifies this for each
> Zulu binary package.

AFAICT the OpenJDK TCK is non-free so it can't go into Debian main, we
can't use it during the package build process and we can't do
automatic as-installed testing to ensure it works when installed. If
there are individuals who have access to the TCK and could validate
the package and file bugs, that would be great.

http://openjdk.java.net/legal/openjdk-tck-license.pdf
http://openjdk.java.net/groups/conformance/JckAccess/
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep8/
http://ci.debian.net/

> And no, that thing called "openjdk-8-jdk" that you would unfortunately get
> when you do an apt-get from the experimental or sid debian repos is not a
> good OpenJDK build. It currently appears shows as 8u40, which is something
> that doesn't actually exist yet. OpenJDK 8u40 is schedule to come out in
> March, and anything called "8u40" right now (without clear early access
> indicators) is certainly not a good release of anything.

The actual version is 8u40~b09-1, which means Debian revision 1 of
beta 9 of 8u40. It sounds like he misinterpreted this version. Perhaps
expanding the b to beta would help here?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise