Re: Java 9 dropping support for source/target level 1.5

Le 16/07/2014 11:24, Rene Engelhard a écrit :

> Bad, but other packages broken is not a reason to break more.
>
> *any* Java application which is built on/for kfreebsd-* (which has native
> stuff) or _all (where it's available on kfreebsd-*, too)

I understand that would be ideal but that's unrealistic. Java 5 is ten
years old, upstreams are increasingly dropping support for Java 5 and 6,
we can't fight that. Tomcat 7 requires Java 6, Tomcat 8 requires Java 7,
and there is more with every update.

> You man Conflicts: gcj, gcj-jdk? :)

Defining a conflict would be a bit strong. I was rather thinking about a
wiki page listing the essential Java packages that must remain
compatible with gcj (like Ant, LibreOffice and their dependencies). We
could then schedule a periodic rebuild of these packages with gcj to
ensure we are not regressing.

> The problem is not (only) compilation, but also runtime. Lo for example
> has stuff disabled on gcj-builds because it does not work and some
> Java commons libs now need 1.6 to build and run etc...

If these disabled features are important we could fork the libs into
separate packages compatible with gcj (something like
libcommons-foo-java5backport-java). Thus we could more forward and
preserve the gcj compatibility where it matters.

> Anyway, I *do* see your point but not *now*, so short before the freeze.
> A loads of packages probably need changes to disable Java, get binary packages
> removed, etc.

Ok let's shelve my suggestion for now. Thank you for your input Rene.

Emmanuel Bourg