Re: Best practices writing custom Java programs deployed on Debian

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> If your package is not aimed at the official Debian repository I would
> encourage you to look at jdeb [1] instead. It's much easier to integrate
> with a Java project and it works nicely with Maven, Ant or Gradle.

I will check that out, thank you.

> If you want to use artifacts from the /usr/share/maven-repo repository
> you can define a repository in your pom.xml:
>
>   <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>debian</id>
>       <name>Debian System Repository</name>
>       <url>file://usr/share/maven-repo</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
        <updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy>
        <checksumPolicy>ignore</checksumPolicy>
      </releases>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>

I did that but I also set the checksumPolicy element to ignore to
quiet maven about the lack of checksums in /usr/share/maven-repo. I
wasn't sure if I was suppose to do that for <release> or <snapshots>,
so I just did release and it seems to work.

Doing this appears to pull jars into my local maven repository
(~/.m2/repository) from /usr/share/maven-repo as long as those match
my requested value - which they handily do if I specify the dependency
version as debian. After I saw that I wondered if I'm doing it right.
Should I not use the maven-repo and instead set my dependency scope to
provided or system for deb jars?

--
Jacob