Re: Best practices writing custom Java programs deployed on Debian

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Markus Koschany <apo@gambaru.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 15. Dec 12:31 Jacob Anawalt <jlanawalt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not ready to jump into making everything we create into a local
>> Debian package
>
> I feel you should look more into Debian packaging and ways how you can deploy
> personal packages to your stable systems (e.g. with reprepro).

I do use a local repository (ala reprepro) for C and C++ built
packages. It works but the packages are pretty crufty despite a lot of
reading on how to do it right.

Wading through the various ways of attempting to make a deb from a jar
or pom and figuring out the right place to stick it may be the
proverbial straw that breaks the camels back. It's like the difference
between making a simple fix in some code and having to wade through
years of changing ideas to learn automake to share it with anyone.

>> At first I came across /usr/share/maven-repo

>> Then I learned more about the Maven dependency scopes of provided and
>> system

Any thoughts on going half in with /provided/ and /system/ dependency scopes?

> I suggest to use existing Java packages as templates for your own packaging and learn
> from them.

I will give it a go.

--
Jacob