Re: guava-libraries 18?

* Emmanuel Bourg:

> Be very careful with guava, the upstream developers enjoy removing
> deprecated methods and the new releases often break the compatibility.
> Each upgrade has to be thoroughly tested to ensure it doesn't break the
> reverse dependencies. If it happens a solution may be to add back the
> removed methods/classes, that's faster than updating the rdeps one by one.

Perhaps it might make sense to do separate packages such as
libguava-$MAJOR (similar to what I just did for spatial4j).

I'll have a look at the japi-compliance-checker output before I do
anything. (There ought to be tools for automating that.)

> Did you check if Elasticsearch really needs the latest version of
> Guava? Maybe the pom declares a dependency on Guava 18 but the code
> doesn't actually rely on the latest features.

Elasticsearch 1.4.0~beta1 could not be built due to missing symbols.

Cheers,
-Hilko