Re: Java Bof at Debconf

On 20/08/14 17:46, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Keen readers of the Debconf programme will notice that there's a java
> packaging Bof on Monday morning. I wrote some text when I submitted the
> suggestion, but I don't think we need feel overly constrained by it.
>
> As well as dependency/maven fun and games (per blurb), it would seem
> sensible to hear from Andrew S about his GSoC project, and Tony
> suggested a few things:
> Java 8 transition
> Tomcat (in general, and removing 6)
> getting more contributors/team members
> when to remove old/crufty d-java team-maintained packages
>
> Any other suggestions? This is my first Debconf, and I'm hardly an
> experienced java person, so I'm open to suggestions (including "let me
> run this BoF instead!" :-) )...
>
> See some of you in Portland!

Not me though - I won't be there unfortunately.  The Java BoF sounds
great though.

Just one suggestion about the Maven stuff: could we create some
unofficial archive (e.g. mvn.debian.net anybody?) of packages built by
Andrew's build system?  This would provide a useful way for people to
quickly test things with many dependencies and then selectively upload
them to the real archive.

Any other future directions for the build system would also be very
welcome.  If nobody else has time to extend it in the near future, then
it could be the basis for another GSoC next year.

Regards,

Daniel