Re: Time zone data for OpenJDK 8

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Why not, but the compiler for the old format isn't provided by
> openjdk-8, so we'll have another issue when openjdk-7 is removed
> (probably in Jessie+1). The old compiler would have to be copied into

Eh, just do that before the freeze if you don’t manage to
do #5 before the freeze, and then do #5 immediately after
the freeze, and do *not* copy the old compiler.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Russ Allbery wrote:

> That isn't all that many zones.  I wonder if tz upstream would be willing
> to take those zones to avoid the divergence between Java and everyone

I think they do.

> That would require relicensing that file to not be under the GPL, but
> looking at the file I'm quite dubious it's even copyrightable.

They are not copyrightable, is also the stance of upstream.

In case of doubt: just describe, human-readably, what those
old timezones did, and someone can write a tz definition for
upstream from that. But I am sure this is not needed here.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant