Re: Time zone data for OpenJDK 8

Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> writes:
> Le 08/08/2014 05:04, Paul Wise a écrit :

>> Sounds like OpenJDK has an embedded copy of tzdata? Can we get
>> upstream to disentangle that, at least for their source releases?

> I'm not sure this is possible. OpenJDK has a copy of tzdata plus
> additional timezones [1] kept to preserve the compatibility with old
> versions of Java.

That isn't all that many zones.  I wonder if tz upstream would be willing
to take those zones to avoid the divergence between Java and everyone
else.  In general, tz upstream is happy to preserve zone IDs indefinitely
if they were in use at some point (although not necessarily the exact time
transitions, but that doesn't look like it would be a serious issue here).

That would require relicensing that file to not be under the GPL, but
looking at the file I'm quite dubious it's even copyrightable.