Re: Time zone data for OpenJDK 8

Le 14/08/2014 16:10, Aurelien Jarno a écrit :

> I am really reluctant to add yet another format of tzdata. Another
> possible solution not listed above is to modify openjdk-8 to use the
> same format as openjdk-8. As far as I understand, it should be about
> porting the openjdk-7 code to openjdk-8.

Why not, but the compiler for the old format isn't provided by
openjdk-8, so we'll have another issue when openjdk-7 is removed
(probably in Jessie+1). The old compiler would have to be copied into
tzdata.

Alternatively, we may also try backporting the new format to openjdk-7.
Thus we would only keep the most recent format.

> If that is not possible, I guess we can go with #2 for jessie, and drop
> that a bit before the jessie + 1 freeze so that we make sure that #5 is
> implemented.

Like #5 I think we lack the time to properly test a porting solution
before the freeze.

If we go with #2, where should the tzdb.dat file be installed? Into
/usr/share/javazi or another directory to avoid mixing the two formats?
For example the Fedora package installs it in /usr/share/javazi-1.8 (but
if the file is reused for OpenJDK 9 I'd rather avoid coding the JRE
version in the path).

Emmanuel Bourg