Re: Java 9 dropping support for source/target level 1.5

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 01:24:52AM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 16/07/2014 00:07, Rene Engelhard a écrit :
>
> > This is nonsense. Not yet - not as long we want/need gcj (on some archs).
>
> Fair enough. But we already have a lot of packages incompatible with gcj
> in Jessie.

Bad, but other packages broken is not a reason to break more.

> What are the Java applications we want/need on these archs? We should

*any* Java application which is built on/for kfreebsd-* (which has native
stuff) or _all (where it's available on kfreebsd-*, too)

> probably document them and ensure their dependencies are not updated in
> a way that renders them incompatible with gcj. And when the transition

You man Conflicts: gcj, gcj-jdk? :)

> to Java 9 starts these packages could be compiled with the Eclipse
> compiler instead of javac.

The problem is not (only) compilation, but also runtime. Lo for example
has stuff disabled on gcj-builds because it does not work and some
Java commons libs now need 1.6 to build and run etc...

Anyway, I *do* see your point but not *now*, so short before the freeze.
A loads of packages probably need changes to disable Java, get binary packages
removed, etc.

Regards,

Rene