Re: iText employee and Linux user offering assistance for packaging

Le 02/07/2014 17:31, Amedee Van Gasse a écrit :

> I see that there are some patches, are there changes that we can do to
> reduce the need for patches, thereby reducing the workload for Debian
> packaging?

You can see the patches currently applied here:

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-java/trunk/libitext5-java/debian/patches/

You could probably forward the issue addressed by utf8.patch, using
Unicode escape sequences (\uxxxx) or proper UTF-8 characters in
IndicCompositeCharacterComparator.java would fix this issue.

> Currently Sourceforge is our primary repository, also used internally.
> (So if SF goes down, we can't work)
> I plan to do a svn2git migration, host the git repo on our own server
> infrastructure (r/w only for iText employees) and mirror the git repo to
> Sourceforge (r/o) and to Github (pull requests will be considered). I
> will give advance notice of this change.

Thank you. If you have a Github mirror it's important to tag properly
each release. This allows us to track the new releases automatically.

> What is this incompatibility with Java 8 you mention? Do you have a bug
> report?

There was a test failure with Java 8, see:

http://87.98.165.193/debian/openjdk8-rebuild/logs-failed-jdk8/libitext5-java_5.5.0-1_unstable_jdk8.log

I contacted Bruno Lowagie about this issue, it has been fixed on the trunk:

http://sourceforge.net/p/itext/code/6405/tree//trunk/itext/src/test/java/com/itextpdf/text/pdf/TaggedPdfCopyTest.java?diff=5041fbafbfc09e48583d0e45:6404

> Currently iText 5.x is compiled for Java 5 (we even had some customers
> asking for a Java 1.4 version but we didn't do that, let's not get too
> crazy here). The next major version of iText (lets call it iText 6) will
> be targeted at Java 7 or maybe even Java 8, the decision is not final
> yet. There is no public timetable for this upcoming version.

Java 7 will be the default version for the next Debian release, so this
is fine. We are working on the Java 8 transition but it may not be ready
in time to be switched by default before the release.

> As a company policy, we don't give technical support on the 2.x versions
> (MPL/LGPL), and any bugfixes won't get backported. This is a policy
> decision, please don't ask me to comment on this. I hope you'll understand.

Well, I would be the one doing the actual backporting, but I understand.
iText 2.x is still fairly popular so we try to support it the best we
can, see:

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=libitext-java+libitext5-java+libpdfbox-java&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y&beenhere=1

Emmanuel Bourg