Re: default-jdk versionned depends ? Was: Java Activation Framework removal

Hi Damien,

Le 17/05/2013 22:31, Damien Raude-Morvan a écrit :

> Even if default-jdk package will soon become alias for openjdk-7 [1],
> for now it's a mix of openjdk-6 on some platform and GCJ (vaguely Java 5
> compliant) on others.
>
> It means that if someone try to build a package which use JAF (and so
> Build-Depends only on "default-jdk") it will fail on platform using GCJ.
> For this kind of needs, I think we could use a versionned Build-Depends
> on "default-jdk (>= 1:1.6)".

For JAF specifically I think we are safe, I checked that GCJ provided an
implementation [1]. I haven't compared the implementation class by class
but it seems quite complete. I verified that libgnumail-java could build
on kfreebsd without libgnujaf-java.

On the other hand I tried to remove libmx4j-java from libmina2-java this
afternoon and I had to revert the change. MX4J provides an
implementation of javax.management which was integrated to Java 5. That
makes a good candidate for removal. But GNU Classpath provides only a
very limited implementation of this package, and Mina failed to compile
on kfreebsd.

> What do others team's members thinks of this ?

I just dream we could have OpenJDK everywhere so we can move on. I
really regret being unable to help in this area.

Emmanuel

[1]
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/classpath/javax/activation/?root=classpath