Re: default-jdk versionned depends ? Was: Java Activation Framework removal

On 2013-05-17 22:31, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> 2013/5/16 Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There are three packages implementing the Java Activation Framework in
>> Debian. They could be removed now that Java 6 and upward integrate the
>> most recent version of JAF.
>>

> Even if default-jdk package will soon become alias for openjdk-7 [1], for
> now it's a mix of openjdk-6 on some platform and GCJ (vaguely Java 5
> compliant) on others.
>
> It means that if someone try to build a package which use JAF (and so
> Build-Depends only on "default-jdk") it will fail on platform using GCJ.
> For this kind of needs, I think we could use a versionned Build-Depends on
> "default-jdk (>= 1:1.6)".

The version of default-* packages are NOT useful for specifying a Major
java version.  In particularly, on some architectures it has a version
2:1.5 (i.e. >> 1:1.6, but using Java5).  I suspect this can happen again
if we ever need to back out of a default change again.
  If we want to use default-jdk in that way (i.e. let it have a version
that is useful for determining the Java major version), we need to have
a policy for dealing with """What happens if we need to "downgrade"
default-jdk from X to X-1?""".

> What do others team's members thinks of this ?
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2013/05/msg00020.html
>
> Regards,

~Niels