Re: Pack200 compression of packaged jars

Am 26.04.2013 20:05, schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Le 26/04/2013 17:25, Matthias Klose a écrit :
>> Am 26.04.2013 15:40, schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
>>
>> what is the overhead on startup time when these need to get unpacked?
>> Maybe pick a non-x86 architecture for this as well.
>
> Unpacking is pretty fast. On my old Core 2 Duo:
>
> ebourg@debiandev:~/libcommons-jexl2-java$ time unpack200
> commons-jexl.jar.pack commons-jexl.jar
>
> real    0m0.052s user    0m0.036s sys     0m0.012s
>
> This is a cost at install time only, not every time the jar is used.

so what is the difference in size for the .deb files, both with unmodified
jars, and packed jars?

Plus, you don't have and checksum for the unpacked files on the system
anymore. The pack format makes sense for web applications which are downloaded
from the net, but I don't see a big value in doing this for a Debian package.

  Matthias