Re: Commons Compress update

On 03/22/2013 01:09 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Le 22/03/2013 08:41, Thomas Koch a écrit :
>
>> I usually migrate all packages from SVN to Git when I touch them. There are
>> only a few (2-3?) Debian Java Devs who still prefer SVN.
>>
>> So if you like, we could quickly do the migration and then you can learn
>> packaging with current tooling and workflow.
>
> I can use SVN or Git but I feel more comfortable with SVN for now. Do
> you know if svn-buildpackage and git-buildpackage are equivalent ?

Hi Emmanuel,

In terms of the resulting source and binary packages they produce, yes,
they are completely equivalent.  In fact, they're really just packaging
repository-aware ways for invoking a build, and so are equivalent to
using the debuild or dpkg-buildpacakge tools.

The primary difference is that by default, the svn-buildpackage tools
expect that the packaging repository only contain ./debian/ (and will
expect to extract the upstream tarballs to a temporary build directory),
whereas many (most?) of the prevalent git-buildpackage recipes expect
the current upstream sources to already be present in the master branch.
 This is definitely the case for most of the pkg-java packages.

Regards,
tony