Re: Commons Compress update

Hi Emmanuel,

On 19.03.2013 13:48, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated Commons Compress in SVN for the recent 1.5 release. What is
> the next step to get it uploaded? Do I have to send a formal RFS mail to
> this list? I noticed all RFS mails follow the same template, is there a
> tool to generate this mail or is everybody copy/pasting previous messages?

You can sign up for an account at mentors.debian.net. If you upload your
packages to mentors, an RFS template will be shown to you and you just
have to fill out the missing information.

http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

> I struggled a bit to build the package, some advices would be welcome. I
> thought dpkg-buildpackage would automatically download and install the
> source code but I had to do it manually. Did I miss something? I ran
> "debian/rules get-orig-source", then I decompressed the tarball and
> moved the files extracted to the package directory. Is this the right
> procedure or is there a tool to automate this step?

It depends on your packaging workflow. Personally i prefer git and
git-buildpackage. [1] The get-orig-source step always needs to be done
manually but after that you can just use

git-import-orig ../your_tarball.tar.xz --pristine-tar

and the new upstream version will be imported into your git repository
and tagged accordingly. If you don't use git, just create the package
directory, copy the debian directory and the extracted upstream version
into it, run dpkg-source -b and continue your packaging work.

Regards,

Markus

[1] http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.html