Re: Frustration with trying to build Debian packages from Maven-based sources

Hi Emmanuel,

I'm happy to find someone from the java side, especially from apache here on a
debian list. Perhaps you could help us as an intermediator and raise awareness
for the pain we have when dealing with java in general and often the ASF in
special.

Some points that come to my mind:

- Dependencies with fixed versions instead of version ranges: We aim to have
one or a few versions of a software in the archive.

- Use version numbers in a sane way: http://semver.org

- Correct license information.

- No circular dependencies: Debian is often rebuild from source for QA
purposes or ported to new architectures. Circular dependencies make this hard.
Maven is one example of a very hard package with circular dependencies.

- Make it easy to build your software from source. Java devs often don't
understand that somebody else would want to build their software from source.

- Release source tarballs, not only binaries to maven central.

- Sign your artifacts with gpg keys that are connected to the web-of-trust.

- ... many more: http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro