Re: Too old JRE/JDK in repos

On 03/12/2013 09:02 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 11.03.2013 04:47, schrieb tony mancill:
>> On 03/07/2013 11:07 PM, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
>>> Hello gentlemen. Could you advise please, why the JRE/JDK versions are
>>> too old in Debian? There were a few security issues recently but current
>>> version in testing is still 7u3, while the oracle version is already
>>> 7u17. I can't see other ways of installing java in Debian except for
>>> downloading from oracle.com or I miss something? Thanks.
>>>

>> You also might try the make-jpkg command in java-package to build a .deb
>> from the Oracle for installation on your systems.
>>
>> The usage is quite simple:
>>
>> $ make-jpkg ~/Downloads/jdk-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz
>>
>> You'll need a version java-package from either testing or unstable.
>
> I'm a bit surprised that you as a Debian developer propose to use the Oracle
> JDK.  However it is not the first time you are doing that, after complaining
> about OpenJDK-6 backporting, and then doing nothing about it.  With this kind
> of attitude about not supporting OpenJDK in any form, we are forced to drop
> Java from Debian at some point, because we will not be able build packages
> anymore. Is this really what you want?

Err, I'm sorry that I haven't responded to your previous post about the
openjdk-6 backporting, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on
it.  For what it's worth, I don't have a recipe for building openjdk-6
on squeeze - the test cases still hang - so there's not much to report.
 My comment about it being difficult wasn't meant to imply that there is
something wrong with the packaging work, and so I regret that it was
interpreted as such.  But that's a separate topic.

I'm not trying to steer people away from openjdk, I was only trying to
point out the existence of a Debian package available to those who may
be in a situation where they need to use the Oracle JDK for some reason.
 This list is (also) for folks using Java on Debian.

I certainly hope that Java isn't dropped from Debian, so no, this is not
what I want.  And I'm surprised and a bit confused that you interpret my
post to imply such.  If you would like to discuss my involvement with
Debian, please contact me privately.

I certainly share your concern that there aren't more active maintainers
for openjdk in Debian.  I have the same concern for the other packages
maintained by the Java Team.  It would be great to have (at least) 20
additional active DDs and DMs focused on the numerous challenges related
to Java in Debian.

Thank you,
tony