Re: RFS: update to plexus-containers1.5

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:37:43 +0100, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Thomas,

> while updating maven-plugin-tools to version 3.2 I found that it
> introduced a new dependency to plexus-containers, which in turn depended
on
> maven-plugin-tools to generate the plugin.xml.
>
> I've copied the generated plugin.xml from the current debian package to
> the debian/ dir and instead of generating it at runtime it is now just
copied.
> Thus I could break the dependency cycle.
>
> This is not yet an optimal solution, but as you know I'm working on
> improving our toolset.

I've reviewed your proposed changes and it seems just fine for
experimental.
Just keep in mind - but I'm sure you already know that :
- you should launch a test rebuild of some of reverse dependencies
- this approach is not applicable in the long term (ie. since you have a
"static" plugin descriptor, it can break at each new upstream release)

>From a very general perspective, many of reverse dependencies of "maven"
3.x package, like plexus-*, sisu-* or aether-*, depends on maven itself.
It would be great if we can find a way to break this and provide a way to
bootstrap this toolchain without maven itself.
I've tried your approach (using pre-generated files) during maven 3.x
packages groundwork [1] but fail to find a sustainable way in the long
term...

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Maven3

Regards,