Re: Multiple JVM and Java version dependency

Le 04/12/2013 17:19, Jérôme Warnier a écrit :
> On 2013-12-04 12:15, Damien Hardy wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I asked on irc but seams everybody is still in bed :)
>>
>> We want to deploy multiple JVM on our hosts (sun java6 and Java7 mainly)
>> because of some requirement for our developments.
>>
>> Finding out which JVM to use for a package and set JAVA_HOME and PATH
>> accordingly is quite heavy.
>> Our packages should depends on virtual package java6-runtime-headless or
>> java7-runtime-headless for example.
>>
>> So idea is to add alternative for every Provided  virtual package for a
>> JVM in /usr/lib/jvm so application can easily rely on
>> /usr/lib/jvm/java7-runtime-headless to set JAVA_HOME and PATH
>> ($JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH) without any problem (like /usr/bin/java pointing
>> to some java6 version required by an older application)
>
> Are you aware of the Java page in Debian Wiki?
> https://wiki.debian.org/Java/
>
> And also the Debian Java FAQ here:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/index.html
>
> Hope it helps.

Yes, I read it (not all to be honest).

But does not reply to my interrogation: How my package requiring
java7-runtime-headless can set JAVA_HOME and use the right java binary
when update alternative point to other version like java6 for another
software requirement.

This is where my proposition try to give an answer by binding virtual
package name to one of its implementation in file-system.

Thank you for reply.

--
Damien HARDY