Re: openjdk-7 for kfreebsd

Hi Andrew,

On 14/11/13 09:26, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> [...] on kfreebsd we are also looking to switch to openjdk-7 as soon as possible.  And we were advised to send our patches upstream also.  I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about doing that.
>
> Talk to me.

Thank you!

Debian applies four patches to openjdk-7 for kfreebsd support, including
some bits I don't expect to be appropriate for upstream, but I propose
to split some bits out:

-#ifdef __linux__
+#if defined(__linux__) || defined(__GLIBC__)

We have dozens of these for example - that kind of ifdef is ambiguous as
to whether it expects "the Linux kernel" or just "a Linux-like userland"
which is true also of GNU/kFreeBSD, GNU/Hurd and potentially other glibc
ports.

We also have a handful of these in the patches mentioned below - though
I propose to match on startsWith("GNU"), in anticipation that GNU/Hurd
(osname="GNU"?) may someday want to use the same code:

	if (osname.startsWith("SunOS") ||
+	    osname.startsWith("GNU/kFreeBSD") ||
	    osname.startsWith("Linux")) {

These two patches are fairly straightforward, enabling build system support:

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/openjdk-7/7u25-2.3.12-4/kfreebsd-support-corba.diff
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/openjdk-7/7u25-2.3.12-4/kfreebsd-support-jamvm.diff

The final two patches consist of largely the ifdef changes mentioned
above.  Some other parts look clearly objectionable.  e.g. I expect you
don't want to add large blocks of (largely duplicated) kfreebsd-specific
code to src/os/linux/*:

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/openjdk-7/7u25-2.3.12-4/kfreebsd-support-hotspot.diff
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/openjdk-7/7u25-2.3.12-4/kfreebsd-support-jdk.diff

Thanks again,