Re: Resolving the Tomcat 6/7 conflict

Le 07/11/2013 07:59, tony mancill a écrit :

> I am interested in looking at Tomcat 8, but just haven't found any
> cycles to dig into it.  I feel like I should try to resolve the pending
> issues with tomcat6/7 co-installability and other pending uploads first.
>  I'm going to try to set aside some time for Tomcat this weekend.

Regarding the conflict between libtomcat6-java and libtomcat7-java, we
could try renaming the jars in /usr/share/java, preferably those in
libtomcat7-java since there are less rdeps on this package.

The conflicting files are:

/usr/share/java/catalina-ant.jar
/usr/share/java/catalina-tribes.jar
/usr/share/java/tomcat-coyote.jar
/usr/share/java/tomcat-i18n-es.jar
/usr/share/java/tomcat-i18n-fr.jar
/usr/share/java/tomcat-i18n-ja.jar
/usr/share/java/tomcat-juli.jar

We could rename them to tomcat7-xxxx.jar, that's the solution I applied
for libtomcat8-java.

I analyzed quickly the rdeps of libtomcat7-java:

- mina2: tomcat-coyote.jar is used but from the /usr/share/tomcat7/lib
directory -> no impact

- jetty8: Uses tomcat-annotations-api.jar and tomcat-jasper.jar from
/usr/share/java -> no impact if we rename only the jars listed above. If
we rename all the jars and not just the one conflicting jetty8 will
require a minor update.

- eclipse: Uses the following jars from /usr/share/java:
    tomcat-servlet-api-3.0.jar
    tomcat-jsp-api-2.2.jar
    tomcat-el-api-2.2.jar
    tomcat-api.jar
    tomcat-util.jar
    tomcat-juli.jar
    tomcat-jasper-el.jar
    tomcat-jasper.jar
  So it requires an update after renaming the jars. I suggest using the
symlinks from /usr/share/tomcat7/lib like mina2.

Emmanuel Bourg