Re: How do I express that a package is meant for stable?

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Joachim Zobel <jzobel@heute-morgen.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Unfortunately it is what I want. So what I need to do is to write an RFS
> requesting an upload to proposed-updates. This should explain in detail
> why I think this is appropriate (Fixes important bugs).

Please refer to devref §5.5.1 [1] before preparing an updated package
for stable. Essentially, you have to request permission from the
release team first, and only if approved should you then proceed to
ask around for a sponsor. Also note that the requirements for
introducing an update into stable are very stringent, even more so
than getting an updated package into testing during a freeze (which
can be quite difficult to do). If you can argue that your updated
package fixes "a truly critical functionality problem", preferably
with as small a diff as possible (otherwise the package may just end
up being removed from stable altogether), then go ahead, otherwise
just get your fixes into unstable and into the next stable release.

Regards,
Vincent

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable