Re: How do I express that a package is meant for stable?

Hi Joachim,

On 25.10.2013 20:48, Joachim Zobel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a netbeans package that fixes three bugs by working around and
> which is intended for stable. How do I express this?
>
> Is a changelog entry
>
> netbeans (7.0.1+dfsg1-6) unstable; urgency=medium

You will usually have to upload a new revision or a new upstream release
to unstable first unless you think it isn't ready for production use
yet, then it needs to go to experimental.

Your new package will migrate to testing after ten days if you set the
urgency to low. That should always be the default value unless you know
what you are doing. IMO urgency=medium or even urgency=high is only
justified if you want to fix a security issue and the package shall
migrate as fast as possible to testing. Eventually the package will
migrate to stable when the release team releases the testing
distribution as Debian stable.

If you really intend to fix (non-security) bugs in the current wheezy
distribution, alias known as a point release, then you might want to
read those bits from the release team.

http://www.debian.org/releases/proposed-updates.html

In short: I think you most likely want to have this line

netbeans (7.0.1+dfsg1-6) unstable; urgency=low

Regards,

Markus