Re: ${java:Depends} and ${misc:Depends}

Benjamin Mesing <ben-ml@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,

hello Ben,

> I am no expert but I believe it is like this:
> both are variables filled during packaging build and replaced when
> creating the package. IIRC the content is stored in special files within
> your build directory.
>
> {misc:Depends} is filled by some debhelper/javahelper scripts with
> things needed for the result of their work within the final package. I
> can't come up with a good example but a theoretical would be, if the
> dh_-script compresses your files it could add a depend to a
> decompression package.

Ah ok, so it's good to use this. With your hint, I found this:
  http://lintian.debian.org/tags/debhelper-but-no-misc-depends.html
which makes it mandatory.

> {java:Depends} collects the libraries required by your java package
> (probably filled by ja_build).

That would fit in with my thoughts: javahelper-build- (not ant-build-)
packages declare ${java:Depends}, from the javahelper docs:

jh_depends
----------
 `jh_depends` works like `dpkg-shlibdeps`, but for jar
files. For each jar in the package it takes the jars on which it depends
and finds the packages to which they belong. These are included in the
debhelper substvars as ${java:Depends}. The control file can then just
list that variable which is filled in automatically.

=> so this is probably not necessary for "ant packages".

Thank you Ben!

Best Regards,
Felix

--