openjpa package

I notice this package has a couple of outstanding bugs which I should
be able to fix. I just want to ask a couple of questions:

The popcon value for this package is low and there do not seem to be
any packages depending on openjpa. I'm not asking for it's removal but
would like to understand what is the deciding factor(s) on whether a
package should remain in Debian?

Is anyone else currently working on this package? I have emailed
Miguel Landaeta off list and he is happy for me to submit a patch for
an outstanding bug, but don't want to duplicate effort in case anyone
is already looking at it.

Stephen Nelson