Re: New work on java-package

On 20.03.2012 13:48, Barry Hawkins wrote:
On 3/20/12 7:41 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
On 03/19/2012 07:11 PM, Barry Hawkins wrote:
The focus of my message was to point out the need for users of Debian
and its derivatives to be able to install an official JRE or JDK from
Oracle. If I gave the impression of criticizing OpenJDK, my apologies;
that was not the intent.

Like so many others, I'll be happy when OpenJDK is the de facto
choice for all things based on the JVM. Currently, high performance
and graphical applications still see significant improvement when
using the Oracle JRE/JDK.

Comments like this are infuriating. I want to make OpenJDK
competitive, but I can't do anything with this because I don't know
what you're talking about. I can't reproduce the problem, so I can't
fix it. Is there anything more frustrating than being told there's
a problem, but not what it is? It's like something out of Kafka.

I agree that it's frustrating. What I typically see happen is that a client or
colleague will try OpenJDK on CentOS or Ubuntu in production, see performance
issues, and switch back to the Oracle JDK without ever considering a bug report
or any sort of feedback to the OpenJDK project. The issue typically manifests
itself as a production issue, with urgent priority, so once the switch back to
the Oracle JDK has been made there's a "crisis averted" sort of relief and they

I should probably move this particular element to the OpenJDK channels, as I
think the discussion would benefit audiences beyond Debian Java.

it won't help unless you are able to come up with a concrete example about the performance issue which you claim to see.

you started with a complaint about an IDE (which hardly is any production issue), now you point to another issue.

Actual specific problems with performance are something we can
address. Core performance differences are very few: It's the same VM.
Oracle does have a few magic optimized classes we don't have, and they
have a proprietary font renderer. We don't use Oracle's plugin.
There isn't much else.

CCing Xerxes here. He did point out that turning on another renderer does improve performance in some cases.