Re: hamcrest 1.2

On 12/03/2012 22:04, Brian Thomason wrote:
Hello all,

Hi Brian,

I uploaded hamcrest 1.2 some time ago in efforts to get the dependency
chain of Eucalyptus 3.1 in place which we plan to upload to Debian
soon.  I was unaware that junit4 still fails to build against anything
greater than 1.1  - sorry about that!

In Ubuntu, I solved the problem by simply creating a
libhamcrest1.2-java package, but it is obviously too late (sans an
epoch, which I try to avoid like the plague) to do the same for Debian
as 1.2 is already in unstable.  I was thinking I should package both
1.1 and 1.2 in the 1.2 package and have 1.1 as the default to solve
the problem.  Is this an acceptable solution?

Some days ago, I've managed to create a workaround in Debian by using some hack [1] to force "unchecked" cast from junit matchers to hamcrest one. FTR, JUnit test suite work with those changes and there is no-API change.

There is some work (upstream) to allow JUnit to work cleanly with hamcrest 1.2 [2] but there is yet no solution.

So, in the mean time, we need to provide both 1.2 and 1.1 hamcrest. I'm not found of providing both binary packages from a same source. What's wrong for you with epoch ? It seems to be a good solution to this...

[1] http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/junit4/4.10-1/workaround_typing_bug.diff
[2] https://github.com/KentBeck/junit/issues/36
--
Damien